Dubai starts testing crewless two-person ‘flying taxis’
Dubai has test-flown an uncrewed two-seater drone designed to transport people autonomously. Called the Autonomous Air Taxi (AAT), the city claims the vehicle will be the world’s first “self-flying taxi service.” The AAT is environmentally friendly, powered by electricity, and the prototype version has a maximum flight time of 30 minutes, at a cruising speed of 50 km/h (31 mph), and a maximum airspeed of 100 km/h (62 mph).
The drone was uncrewed and hovered 200 meters high during the test flight, according to Reuters. The AAT, which is about two meters high, was supplied by specialist German manufacturer Volocopter, known for its eponymous helicopter drone hybrid with 18 rotors. The AAT is fitted with optional emergency parachutes and nine independent battery systems. Each battery takes two hours to fully charge, but that charging time will be “significantly reduced” in the final production version of the taxi, the Government of Dubai claims.
There are also plans to make AAT available to the public via a smartphone app that would allow users to book flights and track routes. The Government of Dubai says over the next five years, Dubai’s Road and Transport Authority (RTA) will work with the country and city’s aviation authorities to develop policy and laws for the AAT and its services. Trial operations will take place during this time, and US company JDA Aviation will oversee preparations for the AAT flights and manage safety.
Dubai has a target for autonomous transport to account for a quarter of total trips by 2030. “Encouraging innovation and adopting the latest technologies contribute not only to the country’s development but also build bridges into the future,” Dubai Crown Prince Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed said in a statement.
- على 06 ديسمبر 2017 Renault Megane has status-enhancing credentials by Bisura
- على 05 ديسمبر 2017 Cadillac showcases exciting Middle East future at Dubai International Motor Show by Bisura
- على 05 ديسمبر 2017 New Nissan LEAF wins first international award by Bisura
- على 05 ديسمبر 2017 Experience the thrill at The Oman Automobile Association by Bisura
- على 04 ديسمبر 2017 Mercedes-Benz Oman launches Health Check Service Week for customers in Sohar, Salalah from Dec 3-14 by Bisura
- على 04 ديسمبر 2017 BMW looking for partners to develop electric small cars by Bisura
- على 04 ديسمبر 2017 Mitsubishi completes first Team Pajero desert adventure for 2017-18 by Bisura
- على 15 نوفمبر 2017 Mercedes-Benz Oman delivers Actros trucks to STS by Bisura
- على 15 نوفمبر 2017 Nissan celebrates 150mn vehicles produced globally by Bisura
- على 14 نوفمبر 2017 BMW M5 and BMW Concept X7 iPerformance to headline DIMS by Bisura